7.03.2014

Austin or Bust...

We just back from the best mini vacay with this crew! Jenni and I decided to take the kids to Austin for an overnight stay and the city did not disappoint. We could have easily stayed a week and not run out of things to do! We started off at the Thinkery, Austin's Children's Museum and think they did. 


There was so many fun things to do for every age. Jenni planned ahead (I know...that's crazy talk!) and made sure that no groups were allowed on the day we were visiting which made a difference. We never had to wait to do something and the kids stayed entertained throughout. I love watching Jenni in situations like this, because whether she realizes it or not, the teacher in her always comes out. 


My favorite room was the light room - it had a GIANT light brite and this awesome room called "freeze shadow" and had a white wall that the kids stood in front of and made funny poses and then a bright light flashed freezing their shadows to the wall. 


We made our way up and down and all around and the laughs and smiles kept coming. Radley even showed us his hula hoop skills... I was impressed. (And kind of surprised).


We ended in the water room - Cooper was too quick to keep up with and Emmy was more interested in snacking than playing. 


We grabbed a quick lunch at HEB and then headed across the street to a neighborhood pool where they splashed and played and put their "face in the water". Radley had his first real rebellious moment when he went down the water slide even though he wasn't quite tall enough. The first life guard didn't measure him, the second one did, then the third one let him go because he said, "Well, they let me go before..." I love that they are getting to be at the age of quasi-independance. I love seeing their confidence grow and watch them realize what they are capable of doing. 


We took a quick break in our day to check into our hotel and rest for a bit before heading out to dinner and the park. For the most part, everyone was all smiles... with only a little grump thrown in.


These kids make me laugh so much. I love watching them all together - I love how they take care of each other. 


At any point Karli or Cooper was watching over Landry or Emmy while Radley was pretending to be in charge, because of course. I am so grateful for the friendship of them and for how well they round us out. Jenni is every bit as opposite as you can be from me. 

I'm a planner. She goes with the flow.
I worry. She says it will all work out.
I am short. She is...shorter.



I hope that some of her ease of life rubs off on my kiddos, because they could maybe use it. ;)



We took one last picture for the evening, grabbed some ice cream and headed back to the hotel.


The highlight of the trip was no doubt the 10:30pm bedtime. CRAZY summer nights, people!


They even slept in!!! Landry was still asleep at 8:30am. That is a Christmas miracle.


We headed back to the park to ride the train and the kids insisted on the caboose, which was the perfect selection... except for the 20 minute wait for the ride to start. We were the only 3 cars not in the shade... I thought Jenni and I were going to die. And then OF COURSE Landry needs to use the potty right before the train starts. I wish I could have seen me running with her to a bathroom. 

SMH



We rounded out our trip with a visit to the capitol where Radley took over as cruise director. I was instructed to "take this picture, quick".


Our sweet Texans!


Radley also wanted to take a few pics himself... I think he did a great job...


We headed outside when they were running out of "quiet" so they could run around in the heat instead. 


This was their best "we are in front of the Captiol" pose. 


And our final stop because we are nothing if not good tourists!


Thanks for the fun, Austin! We do love you so much and will be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment