7.31.2014

Tiny Tales Thursday...


You've heard everything is bigger in Texas, right? Well, it's true. The trucks, the food, the hair, the highways, the stadiums... and the thunder storms. Oh my word have we got some thunderstorms. 

And oh my word, have we got some delightful kids that are afraid of those thunderstorms. And they get it honestly. I was bone trembling scared of storms until I was, maybe, 27 years old. It's true... I hated them. They are still not my favorite and I am probably more cautious than most, but I can hold back the tears as opposed to when I was 6 and lived, yes LIVED, in my parents linen closet for 3 days. 

And then there was the first time that Ryan drove to Waco with me and we got caught in a storm. I couldn't see two feet in front of my face and refused to drive or get out of the car to let him drive. Luckily, we did have cell phones so he called my mom who tried to explain to him that I was normal and I was just a little uneasy with the thunder. And rain. And lightening. And wind. Luckily, he didn't think I was a lunatic and stuck with me. 

Now, fast-forward 15 years to last week. We had a huge thunder storm roll through town and we both knew that bedtime was going to be interesting. The storm began around 7ish, so it was still light outside but Landry was not impressed. In fact, she was hysterical. Radley and Emmy at this point have brave faces and Emmy explains to me what has made Landry so upset. 




But the brave faces didn't last long as the sun began to set. Ryan was on Landry duty, me with Emmy and poor Rad was left in the living room with the lights on. The "thunder cats" were purring and I had finally settled Emmy down when I walked out to find Radley, brave face on, trembling under a blanket.  Not two seconds later and the brightest ligthening I had seen in ages appears followed by an enormous explosion-like BOOM. 

I could only laugh at what was coming next... 

Screams from Landry's room.
Screams from Emmy's room.

Radley being brave but really wanting to scream, "I know Jesus, so I'm not afraid."
Emmy: Where is Jesus now?!?

We finally got them all settled on the floor of Emmy's room. 


And the thunder cats didn't bother them again.




No comments:

Post a Comment