9.15.2014

The best gifts aren't bought...

 In an effort to not create more stuff to get rid of later, Cindy and I have made a pact that we won't trade gifts between our kids. Not because we don't want them to celebrate, simply because we can celebrate in different ways while making one of the kids feel special. 

Well this weekend we got to spoil Anna for her belated birthday night out. She picked Whataburger as her burger of choice and we had a happy crew!


I think I've posted in about a hundred different ways how thankful I am for the friendships my kids have their lives. Since we lived so far away from aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents growing up, my friends were my family. And I still value my friendships in that way today. 


My kids feel the exact same way about their friends and I love it! I must have heard "I love my best-friend" about 50 times through out the night and each time was music to my heart. 

At one point we had this conversation:

Rad: Mommy, what do we always do stuff with the Munsons?
Me: Well, why do you think?
Rad: Because they are our people...
Me: Yep.
Emmy: Yeah! Because Tia and Mommy are partners and Daddy and Uncle Josh are partners and we all go togeder. 
Me: That's right.
Radley: Yeah. Caroline is my best-friend.
Me: Yep.
Radley: And we have Karli-bug and Cooper and Aunt Jenni, too. 
Me; Yes, we have lots of people to love.
Emmy: But they are our people. 



Yes. Our people.

And when you are our people you get special things. Like as much frozen yogurt and toppings as you want followed by a spur of the moment pedicure. 


And a late night with Uncle Ryan followed by a camp out in the family room. 


And a yes from Zia when you request rain boots and bathing suits to splash in the puddles. 


And a step by step guide on making the world's best banana bread from Uncle Ryan.


Mostly, when you are our people, you get loved and celebrated. We will cry with you and laugh with you. We will carry you and support you. We will pray for you and pray with you. We welcome you in, hold you close and keep you there for a lifetime. 

And if you ask me, that's the stuff that can't be bought but should always be cherished. 


2 comments:

  1. #1 - I wish I was your people :) SO much fun!! And most adorable kids ever.
    #2 - Is that your purse in the Whataburger booth? I'm in love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. We have room for more! :)
      2. Yes - my brother got it for me for Christmas! It's Fossil and I love it!

      Delete