7.08.2018

Being selfish...

I have a confession.

I can be a little selfish. No, really. It's true. Most of the time I'm pretty good about putting others before myself, staying humble and attempting to live a life of service. But there are two days a year where I am completely selfish. Where I say and do exactly what it is that I want to do. No questions. No apologies. No excuses. The day is about me. 

And Mother's Day is one of them. 

Here's usually what is included:
Saturday mass
Sleeping in
My choice for breakfast
Time alone
And a family outing near the water.

So that's exactly what we did... oh, and I got to do the girls' hair anyway I wanted without complaints. 


On Sunday morning, I woke up late, packed up my computer, calendar and other "to do" list items and headed out to breakfast... alone. 

"But, Katy, aren't you supposed to be with your KIDS on MOTHER'S DAY?! I mean... aren't they the whole reason you GET Mother's Day?"

Yes... they are. But also, y'all... we do a lot for our kids... all the time. Truthfully, we should do more for ourselves more often, so I didn't feel guilty in the slightest as I ate one of my favorite indulgent breakfasts, sipped on a perfect iced coffee and did whatever it was that I wanted while they stayed home and CLEANED THE HOUSE.

#literallyperfectday


I came home in time for lunch, refreshed and reenergized and fully ready to just be WITH them without the distraction of that running list. A little time to ourselves and FOR ourselves is so dang important for this exact reason. Sometimes I catch myself resenting my most favorite people instead of rejoicing in them. Crazy? Maybe. But true. 

  

After our bellies were full, we headed to the lake and enjoyed an amazing afternoon with our favorite family. I've typed so many words about friendship in this space and I will never get over the gift of them. The gift of each of the amazing women that share this ride with me and how lucky I am to have them near and far to shoulder burdens, rejoice in success, cry in sorrow or cuss in frustration. The gift of motherhood is amplified when you are sharing it with dear ones. 


Including the one that shares this crazy parenting gig with you. He hardly ever questions my crazy ideas. He tells me "yes" more often than he should. He makes me laugh. He annoys the heck out of me. He eases any burdens and carries most of my fears. 


He tries so dang hard to make each of my dreams come true that sometimes he forgets, he already has.  So eternally grateful that I get to be selfish from time to time simply because of him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment