9.10.2018

Monkey bars are lame...

I lasted exactly 11 years and one day as a mom with no broken bones. Those were glorious times that I will remember with fondness. Friday changed all of that and I'm still kind of in panic mode.

I was in a meeting with one of my students and my cell phone started ringing, but I didn't recognize the number so I clearly didn't pick up the phone. We wrapped up our meeting and being the responsible adult I am, I actually listened to the voicemail informing me that Emersyn had fallen from the monkey bars... it was bad...looked broken...blah blah blah... when I immediately went in

HOLY COW GRAB ALL THE THINGS I NEED TO GET TO SCHOOL NOW 

mode. You know calm. 

I called her teacher back, spoke to the nurse and made the 4 mile drive as quickly and safely as possible. Luckily, Gigi was in town for Grandparents' Day lunch and was able to turn around to grab Landry and just be a momma, too. (#Godthings)

The office staff had me all checked in before I even arrived, standing with my nametag so I could see Emmy as soon as possible. (#myschoolisamazing).

Before I could go back, I had to find out how bad it was...

Me: How bad is it?
LH: Pretty bad... definitely broken
Me: Yes, but like, am I going to see bones or just crazy arms? I need to know because I'm an overreactor.
LH: Oh... no bones.
Me: Ok, I can proceed. 

I made it to see my girl and y'all...

SHE IS NOT MY CHILD.

There were no freak outs. There were no screams. There was like one stoic tear streaming down her face. SHE WAS SO CALM. I had to follow her lead. 

We loaded her in the car and headed to the ER where one of my pledge sisters works. We were able to talk on the phone and she had the staff ready for us so that when I pulled up to the facility, they were there waiting. Emersyn sat so still and so brave and so patient and listened so well. I told her I had to go park the car and I would be back as soon as I could and then they wheeled her into the ER.


At this point, I let myself cry a little. I knew she was going to be ok. I knew that this could be so.much.worse. but I also knew that my sweet girl was in pain. And that is never any fun to see as a parent. I briefly thought about how I wished a team I serve on at A&M existed for schools... I needed another adult to be there to calm ME down. I was worried I went to the wrong ER because there is another one nearby that's all "TRAUMA ONE" or whatever and while I knew this wasn't a trauma, I was second guessing myself. 

As I made my way back through those sliding glass doors I looked up and saw one of my teammates from that same A&M team. Y'all. God is so gracious to us. He knew exactly how to make me strong when I was feeling so weak. I hugged my friend and she let me cry and I was so much better from that quick and meaningful interaction. I made my way back to the room and she was still being so brave.   


The nursing team got straight to work and let us know Heather had called about us. One nurse knew us from soccer - Ryan had been her son's soccer coach a few years ago and her son and Radley shared a birthday. (#Godthings). They got to work and made everything so easy and quick. Gigi had managed to pick up Landry and make it home to get Prince Naveen/Bunny who saved the day during the blood draw/IV insert. (One stick y'all...this team was magical). 


Xrays came back and looked exactly how Reeda (CHE nurse) had predicted... broken in two places... surgery was going to be necessary because of that pesky break at the elbow. Can I remind you that she has only cried like 7 tears through all of this and more out of annoyance than anything. 


Emersyn was so worried about Landry - she didn't want to make her upset, but we finally convinced her that it would be okay for Landry to come back to the ER. I sent Ryan home to shower and change and grab things for me since we knew we'd be staying the night. Cindy made her way up there to sit with me and Landry and Gigi made their way home to grab dinner and Radley. We were all over the place but I was never once worried about who was getting where - our village had us covered. 

As Landry was telling Emmy bye, she kind of lost it. I mean, great big tears of worry and concern, but she held it together long enough to get to the hallway where Emmy couldn't  see her. Sisters are pretty darn precious. 


We finally got wheeled up to our room and they gave her some pain meds to calm her down and let her sleep.  Her two complaints were wanting water and not being able to write. 


Her sweet teachers came to visit her and her bestie wouldn't go to bed without making a trip up to the hospital, too. There's really nothing better as a parent than to know your kids are loved and God showed us all afternoon just how loved, cared for and prayed for they are. 


The only person Emersyn demanded she had to see before surgery was Radley. She was so worried she wasn't going to see him and she needed him to get up there and tell her she was going to be okay. Y'all. 

WHY DO KIDS FIGHT SO MUCH WHEN THEY LOVE EACH OTHER SO MUCH? 

Anyway, her brother was on his way along with her entire crew of family. This crew lifted her spirits and got her first real smile of the afternoon. 

Surgery was initially scheduled for 8pm but 8pm became 8:30...9... and finally at 10pm, they made it back to our room to wheel her into pre-op. Ryan, Gigi, Rad and I walked down with her (and bunny of course). Landry had left with the Munsons because, she's 6 and probably didn't need to be up all night, and spending the night with the bestie sounded more fun than spending 12 hours at a hospital. 


At 11pm they wheeled her back to surgery. And y'all. I'm not sure how I held it together. Maybe it was because my friend, Katy, was going to be in OR (#Godthings). Maybe it was because I was in shock. Maybe it was because God gave me super strength. Maybe it was because my momma was there. Maybe it was because Ryan was losing it. Mostly it was because my girl needed to hear my voice be strong and confident and sure. She had been brave enough and tough enough all day... it was my turn to do the same. 

At 11:58pm, her surgeon came to report that everything went perfectly well and we could go see her. 
She woke up long enough to let us know that Princess Anna helped put her arm back together and fell quickly back to sleep. 


Ryan helped wheel her up to her room and we settled in for the night. 


By 9am the next morning, her hair and teeth had been brushed and she was begging to go home. 


Radley and Landry arrived with new goodies, big hugs and then headed to Waco with Gigi for the day so Emmy could have some peace and quiet at home. 


Thank God for Gigi's and Mommas. We happen to believe we have the best of both.


And this is where we've been the past few days. Happy to be home and healing. Getting pampered, growing stronger and more confident with that heavy cast and sling and ready to get back to normal in the next 5-6 weeks. 


I learned a few things since Friday.

My kids are the bravest, greatest, most amazing people on the planet. 
Husbands don't deal well with injured babies. ;)
God is gracious and kind and giving. He equips us in the big and small of life with the exact tools and people we need. He really never forsakes us. 
A momma always needs her momma. 
It's never too early for cookies, popcorn or ice cream.

Monkey bars are lame. 


No comments:

Post a Comment