9.17.2018

Wrong way...

I was in the car rider line today and something happened.

(No, it wasn't a left-turner, although if you've followed me on Instagram for half a second, you'd know how I feel about them.)

I looked up and saw a car driving the wrong way - as in the car was trying to exit through the entrance.

Y'all.

The car passed three cars until I saw it, GOT OUT OF MYRTLE (the minivan) and stood in the lane to stop them from continuing.

The car politely waved, turned around then pulled in front of me - in the car rider line.

So, I got out again, walked to the driver window and politely asked, "Are you picking up anyone?"

The sweet driver looked at me so overwhelmed and said, "No... I'm just a substitute teacher... help!"

So I pointed her in the right direction and she was on her way.

And then I (of course) got to thinking.

How many times do we see people doing things "wrong" and never say anything? We blindly ignore them but probably also complain about their actions under our breath. We let them drive the wrong way, take pictures, and shame them on social media rather than approach them and redirect.

Now, let's think about this in terms of something much bigger than a confused driver going the wrong way in a parking lot. How many times do we see or hear people do or say things that are hurtful to others? What do we do about it?

Do we help?
Do we stare?
Do we mumble under our breath about their actions?
Do we PRETEND NOT TO EVEN SEE?
Do we act like we don't understand?
Do we say a quick prayer for Jesus to change a heart, even though He placed you right in front of them for a reason?
Do we share the awkward laugh because it's easier?
Do we hide behind social media?
Do we try to make a difference?

Are we willing to stand in front of that moving car to stop it or do we just watch the car go the wrong way?



No comments:

Post a Comment