12.12.2018

Rosin up that bow...

 Growing up in Robinson, there was no question whether or not I would be part of the band. Everyone was in band - it's what we did - so as Radley approached 5th grade, I was interested to see what he would pick for his elective. They have the choice between art/music/theater (one each semester) or orchestra. 

He picked orchestra and I was THRILLED. Some of my greatest childhood memories live in that band hall and while his journey doesn't ever have to resemble mine or Ryan's, I'm glad that he will have a year of experiencing the journey of learning music with a cohort of friends!

He had his first orchestra concert and we were all eager to watch him show off his new skills. 


I tried to be chill and not take too many pictures, but clearly... 


He also tried to ignore us and not smile our way, but clearly.... 


The concert lasted 15 minutes as they showed off their newfound skills and all of those kids were nothing but smiles as we made our way out of the auditorium to sing our praises. 



As usual, we showed up big for those 15 minutes - I hope all my kids recognize how lucky they are to be loved so much. 

Sidenote: Ryan was home super sick and had to miss the big performance. PTL for videos!


My favorite part of the evening happened as we were walking out to go to dinner; Radley spotted his principal and wanted to say hello...

Rad: Hi, Mr. Symank
Mr. S: Hi Radley, great job...
Rad: Thank you...
Mr. S: Were you nervous?
Rad: A little...
Mr. S: Good - that means you care. 

I just love that. "Good - it means you care." 


One more thing checked off that "kids refuse to quit growing up" bucket list. I look at him and can't get over how big he is which is ironic, because this kid has lived BIG since day one. Big love, big laugh, big emotions, big joy, big nerves.... and yet here I am just wishing he could stay little. 



But honestly, I am grateful for the big he brings to every moment of our lives. I'm grateful for what we get to share as he gets big... and I can't wait for all the BIG things he'll keep teaching me along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment