5.10.2011

Mother's Day...

This weekend we drove to Sherman to celebrate Mother's Day with Fely. 

As I mentioned before, Fely was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in December. The disease is rapidly causing her more pain and preventing her from doing the things that she loves and enjoys to do. We knew that there was no other place that we should be to celebrate this Mother's Day than with her. 

In reality, we were celebrating her life, as a Mom and a Dad to Ryan. Ryan's dad passed away when he was eight years old. Since then Fely has been a mother and a father; at times lacking that disciplinarian role (which Ryan took full advantage of) but always offering her love to him.

I am so proud of Ryan. His strength. His tenderness. His faith. His respect and honor for his mom. I always prayed that I would be blessed with a good man. A hard working, honorable human to share my life with and in these moments of our life, every second of doubt and moment of frustration, he has lead with an example for me to follow. Ryan carries on with the knowledge that no matter what comes next, He is the ultimate provider, the navigator, the One in which our destiny lies. Ryan has been kind, patient and supportive of his mom... everything a parent could hope to have in a child, a child could want in a parent and I could need in a husband. 

These images capture her so beautifully, for even in her time of weakness and vulnerability, she is still poised, polished and perfectly beautiful in her skin. (In true Fely fashion, she had final approval of all pictures that were taken...with a "oh, that looks good" I knew the spark she has in her is still shining).

She was eager to visit and talk and so happy to share time with all of us. Especially Ryan. 


I have known Fely for 12 years now and never in that time had I been given the pleasure of cooking or cleaning in her house. Always the gracious hostess and not wanting anyone to go out of their way for her, I was honored to be able to serve her this weekend. To bring her dinner in bed, to clean the dishes and to pick up around the house. As I sat at the sink washing the dishes, I found myself crying, thinking about the simple act of putting soap on a sponge, knowing that the only reason I was doing this was because she couldn't anymore. 

How did that happen?


She was elated to see Emmy and Radley and just be in their presence. You could see the joy in her face watching them but recognize the remorse of knowing that she wouldn't be here to see their lives unfold. But I challenge that thought... knowing that she will be with them, beside them and in them for every grand moment of their lives. She is part of them and we will make sure that she is part of our lives and their heritage today and always. 


In visiting her for this day, she gave us a gift. A wonderful visit. The ability to see her strong while allowing us to know that she is weak. Doesn't every child need to know that about their parent? That while we hope to carry our kids through their darkest days, that sometimes it is them that will carry us?



I am thankful that we were given this weekend with her. That she was able to talk to us, to tell Radley she loved him as many times as she could. To read to him and Emmy, to laugh and to cry. 
That she showed us her fear as much as her courage. 

I am thankful for my own Momma, teaching me and showing me that life goes on; we persevere, we conquer and we look to Him and His guiding light even in the darkest hours. 

And while this Mother's Day wasn't at all anything that I would have ever planned... it was more than I could have ever hoped for. 

Hope you all had a beautiful day celebrating the Moms in your life, too. 












No comments:

Post a Comment