8.06.2013

Bucket lists...

We started our Saturday by crossing off another item from Radley's summer bucket list. Every weekend there is a small farmer's market in Bryan so we hit it up to see what we could find. 


We arrived a little late in terms of farmer's markets so most of the veggies had been picked over. We did find some Japanese eggplant that became some delicious eggplant parmesan for our Sunday dinner and jelly.


Lots and lots of jelly. He settled on muscadine grape. 


We walked around, bought a cup of lemonade and were on our way to our second stop of the day.


The Bryan UPS was hosting a benefit for one of the drivers that was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer. Larry has worked for the company for 20+ years. He packs two lunches every day - one for himself and one for a homeless man that is on his route. He and his wife have adopted several children with disabilities. He is a Christian. He is a wonderful example of the meaning of a strong work ethic. He is a hard worker - always willing to help out. 

And as we entered the VFW and arrived to a full room of people wanting to help, I thought about my bucket list. Sometimes we aren't given the chance to really think about what we want to do in life. Sometimes it is handed to you. And in those cases, are any of us really prepared to face what comes next?


As people oooed and ahhed over the kids (even when they make such gorgeous faces as this)...


and as I listened to a couple of drivers pull me aside to tell me what an amazing man I married - how is the kind of boss they always wanted - how he understands where they come from - how he pushes them to be better not just at their jobs, but in life...


and as I watched a kid be happy in the moment of picking the winning number for a dozen cupcakes...


I thought about the items on my bucket list that I have already been able to cross off. And - I don't know if there is really anything left to add. Sure, I want to go to Europe, I'd love to sky dive, maybe get a tattoo, learn a new language, and maybe even see the Aggies win a national championship. 


But, if those things never happen, I'd be ok. I think God places these reminders in front of us so that we can pause and give Him the thanks that he more than deserves. So that we can reflect on what we have been given and strive to live our lives in such a way that when we are in need, a community of people rally together in support of one. 


What's on your bucket list today?

1 comment: