2.16.2015

For life, not four years...

One of the best things I did in college was join a sorority. These were my group of women that allowed me to just be. They loved all of me from day one. (Even with those caterpillar eyebrows.) And I am so grateful for them.



They encouraged me.
They challenged me.
They cried with me.
They were silly with me.


They played hookie with me.
They sang karaoke with me.
They hugged me.
They brought me food.
They helped me study.
They laughed with me.
They laughed at me.
They "celebrated" with me.



Lots. There was lots and lots of "celebrating" at 3202.



And they still do. We all do.

Three years ago I wrote about my pledge sister, Kim and her son Cason.

In those three years, Cason has endured more surgeries, illnesses and set backs. He has also powered through, grown stronger, and been braver than most adults I know. Kim has shown such strength and courage as his mom and advocate. She has been a witness of grace and faith throughout it all and shown me and many others what it truly means to be a warrior.

But, even warriors need rest.

And people noticed that it was time for Kim to take hers. Last week, I was able to witness yet again what this sisterhood means to me. Two more of my DZ sisters sent a message to many of us on FB with an idea to send Kim and her husband, Sean, on a Valentine's getaway. In a matter of days we surpassed our goal and were able to do so much more than that.

Because sisterhood is forever.

I'm not writing this to pat ourselves on the back for a good deed. I'm sharing this because we all need rest at one time or the other. So, I'm challenging you to give that rest to someone you love.

Call your bestie and tell her to get a manicure while you watch her kids.
Bring your neighbor dessert.
Get a tee time for your husband just because.
Help your mom clean out a closet.
Buy a stranger coffee.
Tell that mom that is always stressed that she's doing a great job.

Notice people.
Encourage people.
Help people.

We may not all be in the same sorority, but we are all in the same race of doing our best. Of trying hard. Of making ends meet.

Kim, I am so thankful that Katie and Chrissy not only noticed, but encouraged us all to take action. I pray that those hours of rest revived your strength and helped you breath.

We love you. We pray for you. We pray with you.

In the flame.


4 comments: