4.10.2013

Siblings...


I talk lots about how much I want my kids to grow up and love each other and depend on each other and realize that their whole lives they won't find anyone in the world that knows them as well.

In honor of National Sibling Day; I'd like to talk about the people that are that for me...





Jody - the eldest. The care giver. The forgiver. The take whatever we throw at you, guy. The protector. The sensitive type. Jody moved away when I was in the 7th grade - he joined the navy, traveled the world on a boat, landed in California, met a girl and never moved back.

(well except to visit of course)

So much of me is so happy for him to have found his home - but that other part of me selfishly wishes he would have stuck around these parts. Each family holiday that he doesn't get to spend with us is hard especially as we have had kids, too. He and Sonya are such committed parents and partners - working together through thick and thin. 

He is the first to look out for you, to help you, to make sure that you know you are loved. His love for life is infectious, he is courageous, he is selfless, he is loving, he is fair and kind. He is also an amazing dancer. 

Jeremy - the "middle" child. My first best friend. The one that is too cute to ever get mad at or stay mad at. We lived together until I got married (except for when he joined the Marines and was gone for those 2-3 years). He would take a bullet for me (and symbolically has when it came to breaking curfew and other such extra curriculars).  

No one can make me angrier faster than him (maybe Ryan) but he is the first to hear what I have to say. He listens. He protects. He cares about everyone. He is generous with his time and talents. He will buy a stranger a meal - or pay for their cell phone. He asks for nothing in return. He sees the good in those that have no good left. He believes in you with every ounce of himself. 

He is a fantastic uncle and I pray one day gets to experience the joy of parenthood himself. He is kind and loving. He is sincere. He taught me so many things in life - mostly that blood is thicker than anything. That we look out for each other. That we pray together. That even when we make mistakes, we are still loved. 


Jody and Jeremy - thanks for being my best friends even when I don't act like it. Thanks for being part of my crazy. Thanks for loving me like only big brothers can. Thanks for letting Mom and Dad think that I was perfect. And sorry for all those times I acted like you hit me when you didn't. 

God blessed me with you both and I am so glad that my kids get to experience having siblings. 

I love our past and I can't wait for our future. 


1 comment: