9.19.2013

And so it begins...

We are on week 4 of Kindergarten and it has officially started. 

"It" meaning...


Some guest performer comes to school - in this case, Ned - and then wants to sell you their amazing gadget/product/dohickey (yes, that's a word). 

All the kids have to have to it. 

Clearly.


Said gadget/product/dohickey - in this case, a yo yo - is clearly something that we don't need. So, like the supportive mom I am, I told Radley he was welcome to buy one.

With his own little money.

Funny - that yo yo wasn't so needed anymore. 


Fundraisers. Radley came home with this first official PTO fundraiser - "Peeler" cards. Also known as discount cards. Also known as a way to get money from people under the premise of mass amounts of available savings from said discount cards. 

When in reality, the products that are discounted are the products no one actually wants. 

I am the mean mom that made Radley go "door to door" at my office to sell these. (I sent out a warning email to my sweet colleagues). I just can't post a FB status offering up these things.

1. He needs to learn that his Momma and Daddy aren't going to do things for him all the time
2. The more "he" sells, the more I become responsible for
3. I'm lazy


PTO meetings. And well, I can't lie - I enjoy this part. 

(I do want to mention that I think we could triple our fundraising efforts if we just asked parents to donate any amount they can rather than doing all these smaller fundraisers.)
(It would also lessen the "my kid sold more than yours" game as well as the "I'm a crappy mom syndrome" because I don't care how many my kid sold)

But that's a whole different blog post. 




Homework. Radley brought home his first assignment - making a family tree. And, I think he rocked it. He drew, cut, glued and wrote (most of the names, ehm...Ryan) all by himself. 




And finally.

FUN! His school celebrated National "Talk like a pirate" day and they all got to dress up. This is him with his mean "arghh" face.


Kindergarten really does rock - even with all those pesky dohickeys. 


1 comment:

  1. I feel ya! Palmer came home all pumped up that he could win some big prize but what he didn't know is we had to sell $1500 worth of junk to get that big PRIZE!!! I have a few friends and at their school they can make a donation and "opt" out of the fundraising, I think that is a stellar idea!! I am all for doing good and supporting the school but when it comes to selling 101 sets of NFL cups and 1000 pounds of cookie dough I have to set some boundaries :)

    ReplyDelete