4.23.2014

Kyle, Kyle Field Day...

I'm playing mad catch up on the blog. I'm sure you understand. 

A couple of weeks ago, my students' hosted their biggest event of the year - Kyle Field Day. This was our fourth year to host this program and I am so proud of how much work they put in. This idea was born after a McDonald's DP run on our way to a meeting. One of my former students and I were chatting it up and thinking big - ridiculous big. We decided that MSC FISH could use Kyle Field, for you non-Aggies this is where we play football...it's kind of a big deal, for a one day service event. We would ask agencies and organizations from across Texas to have a booth and bring supplies for a service project and set up around the track. On the actual field we would have games and fun activities for people and kids to play. Food, live music, prizes, etc... would be extra fun.

See? BIG.

And then there was this whole, "we need permission to use this multi-million dollar facility thing".

Well, guess what? They said yes!

WHAT??!?

Four years later, they are going strong. 

This year posed a little difficult since Kyle Field is under construction but the athletic department was nice enough to let us use Blue Bell Park. And the day was perfect!


Ryan brought the kiddos early so they could go through everything without too much of a crowd.


And of course they found the paint first. The non-washable paint. The paint that ended up all over them in their new shirts. 



(Who am I? A rookie mom? But there is this strange balance of sending kids out in public looking presentable and wearing clothes that you don't care are ruined.) 



We had to stop them because they basically painted the whole thing before other kids even showed up.


Landry kept trying to paint inside the circles. You know, exactly where we told her not to paint.

Because of course.


The day has become one of my favorites of the year, and not just because my amazing students host the event. I love that it is about serving your community. I love that it is free. I love that everyone is invited.


I love that my kids get to do things that teach them about others.


I love that silly is involved.


I love that they know they are helping someone.

(Even if the trash can had to be repainted).


I love that the smallest act of service can make the biggest impact on someone's life.



I love that I get to share my work with my family. And share my family with my students.



And I love that every year the most dedicated servant leaders on campus are the 100+ people that make up MSC FISH!





No comments:

Post a Comment