4.08.2014

The sweet spot...

You know that time frame between everything going horribly wrong and being perfectly right? That tiny little speck of time that will swing your day from one direction to another?

Yeah...I wait for that time a lot. And sometimes it swings our way and sometimes I may find myself sitting in a corner crying it does not.

For example.

Yesterday.

It was a BEAUTIFUL day in Texas. I grabbed Radley from school and we headed over to get the girls. And I told myself,  "today, yes today is going to be a great day!" (You moms know - this is called "the pep talk").  There would no fighting or whining and I was going to have the patience of a saint. I would use soft voices and redirect instead of yell. Yes, today was THE day.

We all load in the car and it starts.

"Can we listen to Frozen."

(at this point why even bother asking. Or pretending that other music exists.)

So I turn on the CD and it was on a song that Emmy doesn't particularly love but Radley does. So instead of just letting him listen/sing in peace, she persists to... "la la la blah blah do de da da la la" during the song.

Sweet spot is tilting.

"Emmy, please sing nicely".

Triumph!

Two seconds later... "bo be boo boo blah de da"

"Emmy...."

One second later... "de de de da da be ba bo ba bomp"

"EMMY! LET YOUR BROTHER LISTEN TO THE SONG!"

Well, crap.

But that's ok. The night is still young - this is the day.

We make it home, they head outside to ride bikes and scooters and all things rideable. And since it's so nice and lovely and today is the day... why not have some POPSICLES!

I know, coolest Mom ever!

We break out the popsicles and they are happy outside so I can cut up some strawberries for dinner, unload the dishwasher, all while listening to them laugh and play.

But then...

"Uh oh"

Landry dropped her popsicle.

"MOOOOOM"

Emmy left the "safe zone" and Radley was reporting.

"NOOOO. Mine"

Radley took Emmy's scooter.

Sweet spot is shifting. But I will succeed. I got this.

But then...

Silence.

(And I have yet to slice one strawberry).

I rush outside and they are no where to be found.

Thinking to self, "great... here comes jail time" and "where did they go...I'm going to kill them when I find them."

And then... giggles.

In the bushes.

GET INSIDE RIGHT NOW. You SCARED me. You know better than to do that when I have left you unattended accept for the open door in the front yard.

Go to the back.

Whew. Still going strong. Windows up, kids playing, strawberries being prepped. I WILL cut up these strawberries. These organic  strawberries. I WILL. Dang it.

And then, I look up...

Emmy is hanging by her shorts on the swing.
Radley is trying to get her down.
Landry has found the rain water that accumulates at the bottom of the slide and is happily splashing and LICKING her hands. Ew.
Emmy can't get down.
Radley is trying to help.
Landry is oblivious.

And I just want to slice some strawberries! For the love of fruit!!!!

"That's IT. Come inside ::as I release Emmy from the swing:: Everyone get in one room and play together. Nicely. No noise. Just go. Please. I love you. Now go. One room. I am slicing strawberries because I love you."

And then I decided I would aim for the sweet spot another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment