7.23.2013

Pinterest WIN...

We have lived in our house for 3 years and 50 days and I have wanted to do some type of window treatment in our family room for 3 years and 49 days. (The first day I was worrying more about getting everything out of boxes).

And after all that time, I am happy to report that we now have window treatments!!!

I didn't want anything fancy. Or expensive. Or hard to make. So turned to my trusty friend, Pinny, and am thrilled with the results. Not going to lie - searching "DIY valences" was a bit overwhelming, but I found one that seemed simple enough and the rest is, well... pretty awesome. 

Step one: 
Gather supplies. I spent $29 total on everything I needed. The fabric I chose was actually one curtain that was on sale at HobLob. 


Step two:

Can we pause for a second and reflect on the fact that this person just seems to have come up with this idea/process on her own? Like she was just walking through Lowe's and said... "I know, I need some polystyrene insulation - that will make the perfect valence."


I was really kind of impressed with my direction following skills. Unlike baking or cooking, I actually followed everything step by step.


And she, Diane over at In My Own Style, gave really great instructions. And awesome pictures. Seriously, if you are looking for a way to dress up your windows, this is your answer!



I maybe should have possibly attempted to iron this fabric first, but if anyone wants to judge my wrinkly window treatments, then feel free. 



I am mostly amazed that these are still hanging (I made them in early June and have just not taken the time to blog about it). I mean, they are held together with pins!


I tried to make my corners just like hers, but, well... 


Before:


After:


I know, right? I am OBSESSED!
(please be surprised when you get these for Christmas)
(please also don't stare too long at the picture because you will notice they may be hung a little crooked)



And since I sometimes like to pretend that people read this blog other than my mom, Cindy, Jenni, Katelin, and Ryan and that those same people want some "advice", here goes:

1. I am not exaggerating. This was freakishly simple. 
2. Maybe try to iron the fabric first ;)
3. Get more straight pins than she suggests - I used a lot because I wanted to make sure the fabric stayed in place
4. Wait for someone to help you hang them (as she suggests). I was a little stubborn and attempted it alone the first time and maybe have the scuff marks on the wall to prove it. 
5. If you ever come to my house, don't look at the back of these. I'm a messy crafter. 
6. At some point I am ordering this slip cover for the couches. (unless Gigi wants to order them for me).
7. I think my favorite part about this project is that when I get sick of the chevron, I just have to buy a few yards of something new and get a whole new facelift for the room!

:)




No comments:

Post a Comment