6.13.2014

Happy Father's Day...

Ryan - Hi.

This is awkward, but I didn't get you anything for Father's Day.

Well, technically I "got" you, Radley, Emersyn and Landry which qualifies you for this holiday, so there's that.

But, I didn't really buy you anything. And I know you are okay with that. I know that because you are okay with being last. You are okay with missing out. You are okay with doing without. For us.

So my gift is simply my gratitude.

Thank you for being the Dad that...

* Never ever made me change a diaper in the middle of the night with newborns. Not once. Not once do I remember doing anything more than waking you up to tell you the baby was hungry. You would go get him/her, change the diaper, and hand the baby to me. I would feed him/her, wake you back up and you would then go put the baby down.

* Thinks it's odd when you meet other Dads that don't know "how" to change a diaper.

* Has never once referred to watching our children as babysitting.

* Lets me think of crazy things to do, listens and then helps me figure out how to make it happen. Like dragging a bed in the middle of May out to a pecan orchard for the "perfect picture". Or stopping on the side of the road to pick some flowers. Or letting me think that driving for 20 hours with 3 kids in a small car was doable and would be totally fun. (And you would have done it, too!)

* Tries to be at everything. Sure, you miss out on some stuff. What parent doesn't it. But you try to change your schedule as much as possible to be able to see every show, attend every practice, be at every game, festival or week night event. Even if it means that you have to go back to work until the wee hours of the night to finish something.

* Supports my passions. My work, my volunteerism, my heavy load of whatever... you have done nothing but make sure that I am doing what I love to do. This allows me to be a better parent and I appreciate it more than you know.

* Traded in Dave Chappell, for Disney. ;) Haha... oh the TV you were used to watching has quickly become a forgotten memory that is replaced with the very real of today. (Although I hear some of the choices you make when it comes to TV as I am falling asleep).

* Takes the time to teach our kids. Whether it's soccer or sorting laundry... I always hear you talking to the kids about the "why" of a task. You never say, "because"... you take the time to explain the process and I love that.

* Buying random things in the store because it reminds you of one of the kids.

* Gets excited for any achievement that one of us has. Whether that's potty training, writing their name, or scoring soccer goals - you are so excited about their success and THEY are so happy to please you.

* Is my partner. You do some things differently than I would, and that's ok. We each have our strengths (yours is usually in patience, rational thinking and anything that doesn't include over-reacting) and I love that we compliment each other. Thank you for teaching me how to be better at lots of things.

* Calls us when you work late so that you don't miss prayer time. I love that we pray together as a family each night. I love that we trade who says the prayer. I love that we each pause to say what/who we are thankful for that day. I LOVE that you started this family tradition.

* Goes from playing ninja fighter with Radley to dress up with the girls in a matter of minutes. You are seriously the world's best fort builder, lego creator, hide and seeker, imagination maker ever. You remind me to enjoy the fun side of parenting. SOOOOOO often I am task to task to task that I forget to have fun. And you make sure that I don't.

* Enjoys the "softer" side of parenting... you can't get enough of the snuggle time each one of them and I love that you appreciate this tender age they are each in.

* Does bath time duties. The end. Period. THANK YOU!

* Makes me want to be the best momma and wife I can be.


This list could go on and on (and knowing me when I think of something, I will log back in and add it), but the point of it is to say thank you.

Thank you for being one of the "great ones."

Thank you for wanting to be a great dad.

Thank you for loving us.

Thank you for working hard for us.

Thank you for teaching us.

Thank you for loving us.

Thank you for you.

Happy Daddy's Day.




No comments:

Post a Comment