6.30.2014

The perks of being a Mom...

Last week Emmy attended Princess Dance Camp - it was her big birthday gift this year and she could not have been more thrilled. She was excited to pick out her new dance clothes and shoes, she was thrilled to wear her hair in a "Tiana bun" each day, and she was ready to learn more about being a Princess. And I was ready for all of those things, too. I was ready for her to have so much fun each morning and eager to drop her off and even more excited to pick her up each day and hear all about what she learned. 


She talked to us each day about her awesome new dance moves and about all the new words that she was learning about what it means to be the daughter of the King - the dance studio is a Christian dance studio started by a woman many years ago as her ministry - and I was thrilled that the message was about the inner beauty we possess and how THAT is what makes you a princess. 


She would demonstrate her new moves at night and was so ready to head back each morning. On Friday they had a recital to show family and friends all that they learned and I was not even prepared for what would happen.



I cried. Big, sloppy, happy tears. 

It was so unexpected; I mean, this was a 20 minute recital of dances that they had learned that week. It was more of a show and tell really. She had been at gymnastics every week for a year and I never once teared up. 

And then it hit me. 


I cried because THIS was HER thing. Hers. I will not deny that I wanted her to love gymnastics. I wanted her to want to cheer and tumble and follow in my footsteps. But she wasn't really interested. She didn't really pay attention and our gymnastics nights usually ended with a mini-speech from me about listening, trying hard, doing her best, etc... 

But this was different. SHE wanted to tell US about her day. And on Friday, I watched her do her thing and it was such an amazing privilege. She was so sweet and determined. She didn't need reminding about anything because her confidence and assuredness lead her through. Confidence is beautiful, especially when you get to witness it in your children. 


She was so proud to show us what she had learned and we were so happy to watch. Landry and Radley kept clapping for her and their pride in their sister was also a sweet gift to this momma's eyes and heart. 



I wasn't prepared for this moment. At all. It was overwhelming her moment to shine and shine she did. 


At the end of the recital, they prayed over the girls about their week and the upcoming weeks of being a "princess" and as she sat there surrounded by her tiny new friends in that big ol' room, I prayed right along about all the next moments of hers to come.


The perks of being a Mom never end and I am forever grateful for that beautiful gift.



1 Peter 3:3-4

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. 



1 comment:

  1. ugh, this made me tear up. Part of me thinks about all of this that i can't wait for and the other part of me thinks...ugh, how can i start a blog back up and compete with this!?! ;)

    ReplyDelete