1.08.2015

Tiny Tales Thursday...

"I going with my BIG BRUDDER!"

~Landry King, age 2 years, 9 months

As she zoomed past me on the couch last night exclaiming this exciting news, I couldn't help but smile and think about all the times I said this myself. 

What pride I took in being the only girl, the BABY of the family with TWO big brothers. The nights I spent at baseball fields, cub scout meetings, tennis matches, band competitions, etc... to watch my big brothers. How cool I felt that I knew older kids and that older kids knew ME. I loved being Jody and Jeremy's little sisters. (I may have also loved all the attention the cute little sister got from their friends and their friends' older siblings.) Even today, in a world of social media, I can get a new "Friend" request because I'm "little Guerc". 

I loved that they let me do "big" things like shoot guns and get on the roof when my parents weren't home. 

I loved that I could do no wrong in their eyes - that they stood up for me to anyone. Even my parents. 

I loved that I could stay out as late as I wanted as long as I was with Jeremy. (Yeah, about that, Mom...)

I love that we fought big fights like siblings should. And that I could run and tattle on them and they wouldn't do a thing about it. 

I love that I never once worried about them hitting me back. Ever. Even when I most definitely deserved it. 

I loved that at the age of 26, two of us were still roommates. 

I love that they still pay for me like I'm still the baby sister. 

I love that my girls get to have a BIG brother all of their own. To revere and admire. A person to protect them and love them. A person that will ALWAYS take the blame... even if it's the little sister that did it.

I even love that he will probably buy them beer and cover for them if they stay out too late. Or if a party is getting busted, before worrying about himself, he will go make sure those two little sisters of his are gone and out of trouble. 

I love all the times that are to come when they are so proud of THEIR big brother. 

And all the times that he will be proud of his little sisters. 

It isn't all sweetness and light. They don't always get along now. They drive him crazy, poor thing. They make him play Barbies and dress up. They destroy his legos and "read" his books. They even want to put make up on him.

And he lets them. Because he's the BIG brother. Because he loves them more than he will ever admit. Because he is THEIRS and they are HIS. 

Because that's what being a sibling is all about. 

What a beautiful gift this circle of life is and how grateful I am to witness these blessings twice. 

1 comment: