1.13.2014

From this to THAT...

We love a project around here. We especially love a project that includes spending $15 or less!!!!  I am going to try to track our redoing, revamping, refurbishing addiction in a fun way to show you that if we can do it - you can do it!

So today, I present: From This to THAT: A wardrobe makeover fit for a princess! :) 


The girls love playing dress up and it just so happens that Santa brought them the cutest handmade by "elves" princess dresses for Christmas. We were quickly running out of dress up clothes space and I knew that we needed something to contain it all. I wanted something that would match Emmy's room and that looked more like a piece of furniture than a store bought storage unit. And then I remembered we had some old chest of drawers in storage. 

I thought that we could remove the top three drawers, add a dowel rod, paint it and voila! A princess wardrobe! (And that is where my contribution ended). 

So, Ryan drove to storage and got to work. 

First he removed the drawers and rails. Then he and Radley began the process of sanding and removing the veneer facade and sanding some more. 



Then he spray painted the interior this lovely aqua color and "killzed" the outside of the furniture. (We probably should have also killzed the interior, but we figured there would be a ton of dresses hanging inside and you wouldn't notice the blotchy spots.) On a whim I bought some aqua glitter spray paint and he added a light layer on front. And so ended my ban of glitter. 

He had to patch a few spots to get the wood even, then sanded the sides down and added one more layer of Kilz.


We had some cream paint in the garage that he used for the base. To give the piece that distressed look, he brushed on some dark wood stain and then painted it again. He repeated this process a couple of times to get that perfect distressed look.


He ran into one issue that we didn't plan for - the base of the piece broke off, so he ended up having to build one for the bottom drawer to work correctly. (I was at work when this happened and he didn't take pictures. I think it involved a saw, some sanding, some nails and wood glue). 

It basically turned out 100 times more adorable than I could have imagined!!!
(Side note: this picture illustrates perfectly why you shouldn't take photos in green rooms. Yellow caste pictures. Ick.)


We added some glass knobs to give it a girly touch and I would never have known that he added the piece on the bottom - super proud of my handy husband!


This is the perfect piece for all of their girly goodness!


And they were pretty ecstatic when they saw it!


Needless to say, only seconds passed before it was no longer an organized master piece. 



They have had the best time getting down their own dresses, picking out shoes, putting on jewelry and strutting around in their dresses. 



Thanks, babe for being such a wonderful Daddy! Our sweet girls are lucky to have you!

2 comments:

  1. Super cute girly wardrobe!! I have a picture editing question for you. What app did you use to edit that picture at the top with the words and cute shape. I couldn't find that shape on a beautiful mess - so I was wondering if it was something else. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lisa! I use picmonkey.com to edit my pics. It's free to use, but you can pay a small fee to get their "royal" membership. I love it - super easy and tons of fun editing options!

      Delete