1.09.2014

Tiny Tales Thursday...

I apologize for the lack of tales I've told lately...blame it on life. :)


We are pretty honest with our kids around here. I know, crazy right? And not just about when they have something in their teeth or a booger in their nose. We are honest about the hard stuff, too.

Sadly, we had no other choice than to be. When Fely got sick so unexpectedly we were 100% unsure of how to handle it all with our tiny children. Emmy was still an infant but Radley was old enough to ask questions and be aware of what was happening. I consulted a friend who is a therapist and her advice was truth and gentleness.

So that's been our approach ever sense.

Flash forward three years later when our sweet cat, Mitch gets sick. The right and humane thing to do was to put him to sleep. So, we decided to forgo the "he went to live on a farm" story and told them the truth. We explained why and tried to use it as a lesson in mercy as well.

Mitch came home and Ryan buried him in our backyard under a bench in a spot that Mitch loved to lay. We had a funeral and the kids said their goodbyes. And occasionally go "visit" him.

The other night I was laying Emmy down and saying our "lay down" prayers. After "Now I lay me down to sleep" we always ask God to bless our nearest and dearest. She has a very specific order that she insists on following. (I am never first). This particular night she paused and asked me if she could still bless Mitch.

Emmy: Can I bless Mitch?
Me: Well, of course.
Emmy: Are you sure?
Me: Yes.
Emmy: Even though he's DEAD??
Me: Well of course.
Emmy: He's in heaven now? With Lola? And Nana?
Me: Yes. He's in heaven.
Emmy: But why is he under the bench?

I attempt to give an explanation about souls to a 3 year old. She seems ok with it.

Emmy: Ok. ::still thinking:: But I don't know why Jesus couldn't just take his BODY too.


No comments:

Post a Comment