1.21.2014

Wannabe a balla...

 We enjoyed a lovely Friday evening with our besties that included $5 pizzas eaten in the high school cafeteria, running up and down stairs, and HS BASKETBALL.

Y'all. 

HEAVEN. 

I was in heaven. 


I'm not sure if you knew this about me, but I'm a balla. Like a legitimate BEAST on the basketball court. What? You think that's crazy talk. Well, you are crazy talk.

Fact: I was on the VARSITY basketball team in HS. For TWO years. (So what if Coach Delaney asked me and Kellie if we wanted to be on JV our junior year because we would be guaranteed more playing time? Psshhh..JV? No. We were varsity material.)

Fact: I was great on defense. Loud. Talkative. And fouled other teams. 

Fact: We won district my senior year. 

See? A BEAST. Clearly. 


I was so pumped for the kids to watch their first game, and it was a good game...it came down to 2 points. Unfortunately CS HS was on the losing end, but since Navasota was "Rocket" blue, I consider it a win. 
(Just kidding, Josh). 


I was surprised with just how much the kids would enjoy it. Radley became instantly competitive. Landry loved all the clapping. And Emmy was mesmerized by the cheerleaders. (Duh). 


I was a little sad they didn't allow food or drinks in the gym, because I needed a giant pickle. And a Dr. pepper. And maybe some nachos. And I also needed the kids to be able to run around under the bleachers and just check-in between quarters. And I also needed someone to shout "Rockets Never Quit" or "WAO LAO" just once. 

Even though none of that happened...what did happen was the fast-forward of our lives. Of the Munsons and the Kings sharing these moments as the players on the court/field/track became our own. And as the loudest voices cheering on the team become as real and familiar as the hair on their head. As our lives morph into celebrating big wins and learning from the major losses. As we continue to grab pizza and do life. So while I may not be raising my kids in the safety of my small town state of mind, we do get the benefit of those friends that create our world and memories. And as much as I want time to stand still, I look forward to all the beauty that has yet to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment