5.22.2018

Church with me...

One of the greatest gifts my parents ever gave to us was their support in our pursuit of Jesus. Not just at our own church events and services but anywhere we could find Him. Whether it was attending mass as a family, my brother going on a ski trip with his best-friend's baptist youth group, a Bethel Methodist weekend retreat or Sunday service with my bestie at her Assembly of God church. We knew Jesus. 

We knew Him through communion.
We knew Him through prayer.
We knew Him through worship songs with hands extended.
We knew Him kneeling before the stations of the cross.
We knew Him in confession.
We knew Him in tongues. (That may have been my favorite)
We knew Him in Heaven's Gates and Hell's Flames.
We knew Him in RAs and GAs and Daisies.
We knew Him in CCD.

I could go on and on. The point is we knew Him. We were encouraged to know Him in any and all ways. I never once felt like I couldn't worship along my friends at their church. I event attempted to bring some of that "revival" to mass but I **may** have been shut down when I tried to clap during the Ave Maria. ;)

Not until I was in college did I start to focus on our differences in Christianity. I wasted time on dissecting what drove us apart rather than focusing on what brings us together. 

His body. 
His blood. 
His sacrifice. 
His grace. 
The Holy Trinity. 

I was able to attend a live taping of one of my favorite podcasts, Sinner Saint Sister this weekend. Allison, the host, brought an amazing group of women together to talk about how we stand united in Christ. Catholic, Protestant, non-denominational... there was a seat for all of us at this table. Just like there is a seat for all of us at His table. 

We heard from a variety of pastors and community members all challenging us with one idea - to leave that sacred space we created in unity. To bring light to our sameness instead of shining down on our differences. Because God wants us united through Him, with Him and in Him. 


As I thought about this, I thought about all those times I went to church with someone else and what an intimate moment that really is. To share your faith with another is sharing the most sacred parts of yourself... 






No comments:

Post a Comment