5.07.2018

Pearls and Patriotism...


Living in College Station and working at Texas A&M has allowed me to do and see lots of amazing things. I've worked with the most incredible students that host amazing and impactful programs, created working relationships that have turned into fruitful and encouraging friendships, and travelled the world from Costa Rica (pre blogging) to Doha, Qatar. Our campus is filled with intelligent, thoughtful, courageous humans each and every day. 

My first week as an Aggie was monumental because the George H.W. Bush Library opened. Classes were cancelled for the day and our little town was filled with everyone from dignitaries and politicians (Former and current Presidents) to celebrities (Chuck Norris, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarznegger). I sat in the living room of my 2nd story apartment and watched every bit of the "opening" and then honestly, didn't give much thought to what the library would mean for me.

I had no idea the opportunities and experiences we would be given because a President chose our campus for his honored museum. Over the years, I would run into Mr. and Mrs. Bush - sometimes quite literally - like the time I was looking down reading the campus paper (it was the 90s) and ran into a person. I quickly started apologizing as I looked up to only be immediately speechless as I saw it was President Bush I had run into in the middle of the hallway of our student union. Y'all. 

Fast forward a decade and I had seen them at events, programs, ceremonies, Musters, football games, etc... but not until I was advising MSC Hospitality did I get the chance to interact in an intimate setting with either of them. This student organization hosted literacy events that were supported by a grant established by the Barbara Bush Literacy Corps. Every year the BBLC would host a luncheon that showcased the work and impact of grant recipients.   

Each group or organization got to spend a few moments with Mrs. Bush and I always wore my pearls. She was as much sugar and spice as everyone says she is. Witty, sarcastic, intelligent, charming, graceful. Feisty and feminine. Sassy and smart. Humble and heartfelt.

And an incredible inspiration to serve. 


There was no question whether or not I would line the streets of College Station to pay my last respects to her. 



I parked my car, grabbed my camera and waited. I got there early and little by little the street began to fill. You could hear people sharing favorite stories about her... things they'd read or seen. Current articles about the impact she made. 


Little girls in pearls. Men holding flags. 


And all too soon, the lights got closer and her motorcade began to approach. 


The street got eerily silent allowing you to hear people removing ball caps as the family approached. 


And as you looked around you could feel the difference she made in so many people. Everyone came together to say goodbye to an American icon. A woman that made a difference to her country, for her country. 


I'm honored that I got to shake her hand and humbled that the work I do was able to support the vision of such an influential American woman.



Rest in peace, Mrs. Bush.


Thank you for your patriotism and pearls of wisdom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment