8.30.2016

Spiel the Beans: Who Ya Rootin' For

Has it really been two weeks already? Seems like yesterday Shelly and I were gabbing about our school days. Whew, I may need a nap just thinking about all that has happened since then. But we made it mommas! The first week of school is done and now it's time for one of the most fun seasons of the year .... FOOTBALL!!

Here's the truth. I try to act like I'm not a "die hard". I play it off like I'm not competitive, or that I don't really care. But y'all... I am simply cray on football day. We basically can't watch the games because I go through every emotion possible in those four quarters. Twice.



I watch all the hype videos, I let my hopes get up. I talk about how high we are ranked, I analyze stats as if I know what I'm talking about. I GO CRAY. It's ridiculous and hilarious.

This is seriously me during the Bama game in 2013.



But beyond all of that behind-the-couch-sitting, there is just something about the start of Fall that makes Aggieland even more of a special place. All my Aggie friends will/can agree that we have some unusual traditions that my non-Aggie friends think are crazy.


And, well, maybe we are a little crazy, but we are also bound together by a "Spirit that can ne'er be told".  As the fall begins and the anniversary of the Bonfire tragedy approaches, I'm reminded just why this place is so special. It seems odd, but that day, that moment in time, while tragic, will also remain one of my proudest moments as an Aggie. In the days that followed 40,000+ students, community members, former students and others came together to support a fallen school. Every one did as much as they could and no matter how big or small the gesture, it was felt by all of us. 

I LOVE living in College Station and I love working at Texas A&M. Now, while I may joke about the small things that sometimes drive me crazy, I am glad that my kids will grow up here and hopefully grow to love this school as much as Ryan and I do.



We've been hitting the tailgates since Radley was tiny which means the brainwashing started early. I'm pretty sure he's hooked because he's won money on more than one occasion.


I know we have "Aggie jokes" and people don't always take us seriously. We have the reputation for being conservative to a fault and a little on the cultish side....BUT there isn't a day that goes by that I'm not proud to wear that ring on my right hand.



Because we also have Maroon Out, the 12th Man, Silver Taps and Muster.

As a student, I got to witness some great football games - I don't know that we ever lost at Kyle Field when I was here...(Maybe we did and that was one of those times I don't remember)....but more than that I got to LIVE the Aggie Spirit.

Personal top three proudest Aggie moments:

1. Aggie Bonfire 1999 - see above
2. Red, White and Blue Out 2001 - In eleven days 1 student's idea came to life as over 80,000 people stood in Red, White and Blue to "Stand for America". They raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for victims of 9-11 while showcasing what Texas A&M is all about. I can remember exactly where I stood that game.

We are a campus full of energy and spirit. Committed to something bigger than ourselves. When I arrived in Aggieland in August of 1997, I never in a million years would have thought I would have made this home. And I don't know that I did. I do know that this home made me. This place holds countless memories, laughter through tears moments and some of the greatest friends a girl could ask for. I met the man of my dreams, started a family and created a life.

It's sounds weird to those that have never lived it. Even as I type I want to roll my eyes at myself - because this can't be real life. But it is. Aggies are a different breed. We believe in a "spirit that can ne'er be told" and we live that spirit every day. It's more than just a school. I have tried countless times to describe it but I guess our saying is true... "From the inside looking out you can't explain it and from the outside looking in you can't understand it." It may just be impossible.

I am proud to be a 12th Man.

And love every bit of crazy that I am.

Howdy.Gig'em.Whoop. 


Can't wait to hear all about your schools!!! Tell us your favorite traditions, best memories, big games, special moments, even those tough losses. Please place a link back to your specific post URL and not your blog homepage and use the hashtag #spielthebeans on other social media!

Please place a link back to both hosts in either your post or on your party page so that others can link up too. It's a party, try to visit at least 2 other posts and show them some love!  This is the fun part! Be inspired, inspire someone else - don't just link and run!  

We would love, love, love for you to follow us on some form of social media!

Follow Shelly: {Instagram} {Bloglovin} {Pinterest} {Facebook
Follow Katy: {Instagram} {Bloglovin} {Pinterest} {Facebook}

ps. We are also both on Snapchat and pretty darn funny. You can find Shelly @queeninbetween1 and Katy @Katygking 

And don't forget to keep spieling the beans... 



SaveSave

9 comments:

  1. This post was so fun to read! My husband is the crazy one on college football Saturdays! I just get crazy in the kitchen making all his favorite snacks and feeding him and any friends that join us for game day! We are Penn State fans in our house, but my husband loves college football so much that he will watch any game all day long!

    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite part about college football is how into my son is getting - he cracks me up! And he's still young enough to get away with picking teams based on rank... although the Aggies are always at the top of his list!

      Delete
  2. Where did you find the Don't Mess with Aggieland shirt? So cute - we need that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney! My friend made them for the girls - we just bought black tees and then used her silhouette to cut the vinyl. I kind of want one in my size!

      Delete
  3. LOVE all the team spirit! Super fun post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! We are pretty crazy around here - but I wouldn't want it any other way!

      Delete
  4. I love that last picture of your girls in their boots. So cute! I have so many Aggie friends & family members. My husband was even an Aggie for a semester, but he doesn't like to talk about that. Ha! You guys definitely take school pride to the next level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I won't mention his "dark days"! We do love our school - in an insane way!!

      Delete
  5. It is so hard to explain this unique place we call home. So glad we share it with so many awesome families! Beat the hella outta UCLA! Whoop!

    ReplyDelete