2.02.2012

Tiny Tales Thursday...

Radley had kind of a hard week last week. All of sudden he was throwing some pretty major fits at school - only in the afternoon - and wouldn't seem to calm down.

When I picked him on Tuesday he was crying and wouldn't/couldn't stop. He couldn't really say why - he was just upset. We decided to forgo gymnastics, not really as a punishment, he just needed to relax. And I "get" him - I am a SERIOUS crier. I cry when I am sad, mad, happy, tired, frustrated, scared, hurt, lonely, etc... It's just what I do. So we talked about feelings and wanting to be alone sometimes and I thought, "well, I am just a great Mommy. Lesson learned. No more problems. Paymyselfontheback. Done."

Until Wednesday.

When he threw another fit and wouldn't calm down, etc... Ryan picked him up on this day. Not sure what they talked about {I assure you it wasn't feelings} but when I got home they were watching a movie.

Thursday morning rolls around. We talk all about having a good day at school that morning. 1. Listen to teachers. 2. Take deep breaths. 3. Do what you are told. 4. Etc...

Thursday afternoon. I walk into school and see Radley sitting in Miss Vivian's office (the equivalent to preschool principal). He sees me and immediately tears up. I try not to cry because I don't want him to think that I am made - at this point, I am just worried. While he is not perfect, this behavior is really unlike him and I have no idea what to do.

I asked Vivian to give me the scoop on what happened and she started with, "the first time". What? This meant my precious baby had been in the office twice? What? THREE times today?

I felt like I was at a crossroads of mommy-hood. I had to control MY emotions. I didn't want to upset Radley even more because this was clearly a call for something. BUT, he couldn't just "get off" on this behavior. I called Ryan and he met me at home and we did some digging.

Incident One: Cranky when he woke up at nap time. His blanket was too itchy. What? He sleeps with it every.day.
Incident Two: Didn't want to put on his jacket. It wasn't "soft" enough. Again - wears it all the time. He also said it was hard to get off because the cuffs were tight. The second reason was a bit more plausible.
Incident Three: Racing with his friends on the playground. Lost the race. Proceeded to take off his shoes and throw them OVER the fence. Why? You ask. Because it was the SHOES fault he lost. "They" weren't fast enough, Mommy.

At this point I am trying to hold back tears and laughter.

I think he got all the "attention" he needed last week because our sweet boy is back. You know, they typical four year old kid that is happy, dramatic, loving, whiny, smelly, sweet and all around a perfect fit for our family.

I still don't know where his dramatic side comes from...

2 comments:

  1. I think it transferred to our house. Glad he's better, and maybe there's hope it's temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im sorry but this cracks me up.... Macy is 13 months and is already a drama queen... i can only imagine what 4 will bring.

    ReplyDelete