2.06.2012

MAKs Room: ABCs...


So, once we finally decided that we were REALLY going to keep MAKs gender a surprise, I immediately freaked out began to think about the nursery.  The room obviously had to be "neutral" as well, but I didn't want neutral to equal boring. Luckily for me (and MAK) Pinterest was blowing up with ideas and I fell in LOVE with nurseries that featured the alphabet. There was SO many ways to do this! 

My sorority sister, Kim, also hosts a blog with tons of nursery ideas, so she was a bit of an inspiration as well. I decided on featuring the alphabet in 26 separate frames - which meant I had lots of work to do. I was also determined to make this as thrifty as possible and not just rely on my staple, HobLob, to get them all. 

I wanted unique frames of different shapes, sizes, designs, etc...so I began my search and scoured garage sales, Goodwill stores, our home, and my new favorite place - the dollar store. SERIOUSLY. Why do I not go to these more often? 

I splurged on one frame at HobLob since it needed to be special but used a 40% off coupon.

We cleaned some of them up a bit, spray painted them in Heirloom White from Krylon and then began the process of putting them back together and "in order".


Lesson learned: the dollar store is "cheap" which meant some of their frames did not love being spray painted. We ended up having to purchase a few more which is why some of the frames aren't painted in this pic. 



Ryan was extremely proud of his arrangement. 
;)



Cut to a few days, maybe a week or so, later and all frames had been painted, cleaned and in order. Ryan and I selected scrap book paper in designs and colors that coordinated with the room so now we had to put those in some kind of "order". Cindy was a great help - I was able to say, "just do it" and she did. 


Thanks, friend!




As she was doing that, I was hand cutting 26 different letters. Different sizes, different fonts. This was when it would have been awesome to have a cricut (hint hint, birthday is coming up people).And while this did take some time, I must admit that I love that I cut each one of those letters for this sweet baby. More than worth the effort.



And look at the results...
Seriously isn't this going to look so cute on the wall?!?!? 

I can't decide which one is my favorite. 
The tiny "o"? Or the cross "t"?



Once we got this lovely project into the room we measured the available space (lesson learned: MAYBE do this first - would have been helpful to know) and made some adjustments to the arrangement.



Then it was time to hang them all up on the wall... 



And that, dear readers and friends, will be revealed later... 

Project Stats:
26 Frames: $35
2 Cans Spray Paint: $7
Scrapbook Paper: $7 (25 pieces at $0.29)
Cardstock: $2

TOTAL COST: $51

Click here to see the finished product!

3 comments:

  1. omg - love it!! man, i need you to live next door to me :) great job!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I mentioned lately that you are AMAZING?? Because you are. That is awesome.

    ReplyDelete