3.03.2015

Tasty Tuesday...

I'm gonna let y'all in on a little secret...

I love food. 

Love it. Like, I would rather spend money on a nice dinner than buy a new pair of shoes. 

I know. That's crazy. 

But, I've also come to the realization that my metabolism doesn't love my food choices as much anymore. I, like most everyone, could once eat whatever I wanted and not tell a difference. Well, notsomuch anymore. I enjoy working out, but don't always have (or make) the time for it (because I'd rather binge watch Friday Night Lights until 2am). So, instead, I need to watch what I eat. 

I started the 21 Day Fix 10 days ago and I'm loving it! (I actually purchased it a year ago and this is the first time I've really committed to it). The concept is portion control without calorie counting. You are supplied with colored containers and depending on weight and goal weight, you get assigned a certain amount of each container daily.

It's so simple.
And you still get tons of yummy food. Some days it's been hard to eat all the containers, but I do it and in my first 10 days I have lost 4 pounds with no exercise. (My next round I will start back at boot camp - that's the plan anyway). Seriously, you should give it a try! 

Here are some of my favorites from the past week...



from Damn Delicious




Y'all. These were so so so good! Our kids LOVED them (we served theirs in bowls instead of the peppers). We had enough of the stuffing left over so on night two we browned some lean meat and made soft tacos. 

MAKE THIS!

INGREDIENTS
3 cups cooked quinoa
1 (4oz) can green chiles
1 cup corn kernels (we just use a can of drained corn - fancy)
1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup petite diced tomatoes
1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
3 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder (or more to taste)
1 tsp onion powder (or more to taste)
1 tsp chili powder (or more to taste)
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
6 bell peppers, tops cut, stemmed and seeded

Mix all the ingredients together, place inside the bell peppers and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

FIX COUNT: 1.5 green, 1.5 yellow, 1 blue

from Yummy Healthy Easy
(She even provides nutrition content!)


(I am clearly not a foodie blogger. I remembered to take this picture after my first bite. With my phone.)

INGREDIENTS
5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup trivia baking blend)
1 cup lite soy sauce
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tbsp. cold water
Steamed rice for service
Sesame seeds for serving (optional)

I was a little worried about this one because most of my crock pot recipes with a soy sauce base have been hit or miss. When I walked into the house I will say, I was sure it was going to be a miss - it smelled a little strong and the initial taste was a bit bitter. (I didn't use as much sugar is the recipe called for). 

 So I went rogue and added a can of pineapple chunks and sautéed some bell peppers in coconut oil then added that as well. We served ours over quinoa instead of rice and it ended up being a pretty big hit. 

FIX COUNT: 1 red, 1 green, 1 yellow (And some extra from the non-fix sauce)

Peppers and Turkey Meatballs




This may seriously be my new favorite go-to meal. I found these frozen organic turkey meatballs and Sam's one night. I was with the kids shopping for Radley's school festival and knew that I needed something quick for dinner. The kids wanted steak fingers and gravy (and clearly I did, too) but I saw these and knew that we had peppers at home so I grabbed a bag.

I set aside enough that I thought would feed Ryan and I to thaw while the steak fingers were baking. I coated the skillet with some coconut oil spray and sautéed the peppers adding salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder and then added the meatballs. Cook until heated through and then cut in half to brown them. 

I seriously want to go make this right now. So so so good! And easy!

FIX COUNT: 1 red, 1 green (and I was full)


You can follow my Yummy Goodness (the healthy-ish version) Pinterest Board here. And I just started a 21 Day Fix Board here. Send me some of your favorite go to recipes! And leave a comment if you are interested in trying this out. Would love to start a challenge group soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment