6.30.2015

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I was on the Facebook last week and my friend Kristin (that I am still depressed moved to the faraway land of Belton) posted about making her laundry detergent. Pinny has been telling me for a while that this was a simple task but I kept ignoring her. Well, I was just dumb - ignoring my bestie like that. I mean she never fails to share the best secrets and tips with me- I should totally listen. And she has TONS and TONS and T-O-N-S of recipes and they are all (mostly) super simple.


This is what you need:
1 alb 12 oz box of Borax
1 box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
4lb of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
4lb of Oxi Clean
3 bars of Fels Naptha soap
Purex Crystals (optional) 

Total cost: $32.83
(This includes the optional Purex Crystals and I had to buy the larger containers of OxiClean and baking soda so that pumped my price up a bit).


I tried to get everything at Target but they didn't have it all (sad clown) so I headed over to Wally World - I'd just start there. I also bought a 2 gallon glass jar and a coffee scoop which I didn't include in the price above (that added $15).  Since I am a super visual learner, here are the individual pics of each thing with hand model Landry. :)

*Target carries glass jars made in the USA, so it may be worth a trip there. #Merica


The kids were so excited to make this stuff; it was almost comical. They love helping me in the kitchen but y'all, this was laundry detergent and they were PUMPED. They just thought it was so stinking cool. 

Now, lean in real close because I don't want you to miss these super difficult instructions.



Grate the fels naptha into a large bowl. 


Try not to skin your knuckles like Emmy.


Take turns - each person gets 10 grates. 


Mix everything in a giant tub. Lighting McQueen is also optional.


Things to note:
1. I think any bar soap would work - some recipes used Ivory soap, some used Zote.
2. I used the Purex Crystals because that's what most recipes referenced when people wanted to add a "scent" - I'm curious if Downy Unstoppables would work.
4. I estimated the pounds of oxiclean and baking soda because I purchased 5 lbs of each. 
4. I have done 3 loads of laundry with this and love it. For a giant load of beach towels I used the full coffee scoop (2 tbs) for kids clothes, I used half. 
5. I still used liquid Downy to soften the clothes
6. I have never felt more hipster, Donna Reed, super domestic goddess than I did after making this. I mean, it's like I invented sliced bread. 


And besides the fact that this claims to last an entire year (!), how cute does it look displayed? I have had this little iron recipe card holder forever, I just painted it blue, printed this scripture, added a pom pom from left over fabric to the basket, stuck on a chalkboard label and voila. 

Laundry is so much more fun!


If you want some detergent, let me know - I kind of want to try some more combos to see which ones I like best! :) What's your favorite laundry secret? 

If you're looking for more fun ideas, check out the summer family fun link-up!



12 comments:

  1. Ok...so I was thinking you were nuts but now that I see how cute and fancy it looks in that glass jar I may have to get on the bandwagon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! YESSSS! Let me know if you make some - we could try a different recipe and then switch!

      Delete
  2. I have been on the brink of trying this. I loved your tutorial and photos. What a cute bunch! I think I am going to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should - it took about 25 minutes tops! And my laundry smells so good!

      Delete
  3. This is great! I've thought about trying this before but haven't (obviously). Great visuals for the pics - I know it helps me find things. I'm blind as a bat in grocery stores haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't find the correct containers! I asked people about 128 questions on the laundry aisle! :)

      Delete
  4. This is amazing! Great for money savings, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, especially with little ones. I feel like I do laundry all the time so I'm hoping this saves us money we can spend on other things - like wine! ;)

      Delete
  5. You are amazing! Thank you for sharing this at the #summerfamilyfun link-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you are! :) Let me know if you want some!

      Delete
  6. I've been meaning to try my hand at homemade laundry detergent. My sister does it and swears by it. She says it works great on cold washes too. I love how excited your kids are to help. Can they come grate my soap for me too? ;) Pinning this for later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - sometimes their excitement leads to a bit more trouble but my momma always let us help and make messes so I try to do the same. I'm sure they'd love to take over a project for you! :)

      Delete