8.31.2017

Silence...


If you have met me for more than 2.5 seconds, then you know I am a talker. If you've known me for more than 2.5 minutes then you also know I am a doer. I can't stand to sit still - even on my days "off". If I have a day of nothing but watching tv then it's because I have literally planned it and written down that all I will do is "relax" because then it's just an item I can check from my list. 

#mercy #evenIsoundcrazytomyself #judgeaway

In the past week I have sat with so many of you and just watched the devastation of Harvey. I have checked in with all my people from Houston and surrounding areas and been forced to be miles away as some of them lost everything offering nothing more than a well timed gif and virtual glass of shared wine. (Don't worry about them, they had plenty of alcohol to ease their pain because if we learned anything in college, it was how to drink.) (Just kidding, Mom... I learned that in high school.) 

(See, never at a loss for words.)

The most paralyzing part of all of this disaster is not being able to do anything that I feel is of real significance to help.  Two years ago I shared the lessons from Katrina I learned while serving as a volunteer coordinator on our campus. And as hard as that was, as exhausted as we were... we still felt like we could do something. 

And I know that I can do things. I can donate my talents, treasure and time and I will, but for now.... silence. 

And you know what? That's ok. 

I'm sure many of you feel the same... at a loss. Not sure of what to do right now in this moment. And what we can and need to do right now in this moment... is exactly what we are doing. Living. Praying. Being. Our world must continue to turn so that our friends and victims of Harvey can get their world spinning again.

What I've found is that if I sit in silence long enough, I do begin to hear something. This morning as I prayed for those friends and strangers ... my fellow Texans... the lyrics of this Mercy Me song began to ring in my ears... 


I’m finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it’s OK
The last thing I need is to be heard
But to hear what You would say

New York Times/ Photograph by David J. Phillip / AP

Oh word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see Your majesty
To be still and know
That You’re in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness
Word of God speak

ABC News/Photograph by David J. Phillip / AP

I’m finding myself in the midst of You
Beyond the music, beyond the noise
All that I need is to be with You
And in the quiet hear You voice


Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see Your majesty
To be still and know
That You’re in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness


I’m finding myself at a loss for words
And the funny thing is it’s OK

It's okay to sit in the silence of His word. His presence is felt in the volunteers, in the donations, and even in our uncertainty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment