3.21.2012

What's in a name...

Thought I would share how Ryan and I chose Landry's name. It really was a tough decision - much harder than Radley and Emersyn. Partly because we didn't know the gender but also because we knew that it had to be just as special and meaningful. Like Radley and Emersyn, we wanted her name to be unique but grounded in our family. 

Radley's full names is William Radley King - he is named for Ryan's dad and grandfather (William) and then given a name that we hoped would be as full of life as he has become (Radley). A name that isn't shared by many but that isn't some random item you find in a grocery store. 

The same thought was given when we named Emersyn. Her full name is Estelle Emersyn King. Estelle is my MaMaw's (Mom's mom) middle name. Emersyn is a name that we just both attached onto very early. I love it as much today as when we first thought about it as an option before we knew if Radley was a boy or girl. It has turned out to be the perfect name for her. 



We finally settled on two choices per gender:

Michael Aubrey King or Joseph Landry King for a boy
Marilyn Aubrey King or Lillian Landry King for a girl
(yes, two of the choices had MAK for initials)

The meaning:

Michael is the first name of my godfather. He was like THE godfather and I just adored him. However, he went by "Mitch" so I wasn't sold on using Michael. 

Joseph was my PaPaw (Mom's Dad) first name, my grandfather (Dad's dad) middle name and my oldest brother's first name as well. 

Marilyn was my Grandmother (Dad's mom) first name

Lillian was Ryan's grandmother's first name and my mom's godmother's name as well as many other family members

Aubrey - we just both like for either gender. I will say that it was the front runner for the boy (gasp, Aubrey for a boy!) but I think in the end we would have paired it with Joseph. 

Landry - another one that has been on "my list" since Radley. I just love this name and it fits well with our kids. 




At some point we both decided that if MAK was a girl she would be a Lillian Landry. I LOVE her name. Just love it! I like the way it sounds, I LOVE that it represents both sides of the family. Emmy's initials are also "double". It was the top choice by far. 

And yes, all of our names now have a 'y'. And all of our children's first names have a double 'L' (which was not intentional at all, but kinda fun). 

We never really did settle on the boy name. 


So yes, Ryan and I have chosen for our children to go through life with their middle names. They will forever correct teachers, classmates, doctors, and strangers. But they will also forever be reminded that someone else came before them to create the life that they now lead. Someone else sacrificed for them before they existed. These namesakes survived wars and depressions, and also witnessed the joy of handwork and perseverance. They taught Ryan and I what it means to live a life of integrity, to give your all and put your family first. 


We hope that one day Radley, Emersyn and now Landry know how blessed they are to be named for the individuals that we chose and that they, too, will create a legacy that lives on in their families. 


1 comment:

  1. Just for the record, I was and will always be Team Aubrey for a boy! Maybe #4???

    ReplyDelete