9.22.2015

Homemade Laundry Detergent: The Update

I've had a few people ask me about the homemade laundry detergent we tried earlier in the summer and since we have hit the 3 month mark, I thought it was a perfect time to oblige. 


Bottom line is - we love it but it would be boring to just tell you that so here are the reasons why.

1. Price - y'all $30 for a year of detergent. Here is a comparison of day 1 and day 90(ish). That's incredible and we do A LOT of laundry. Especially in the summer because I can't stand wet towels and bathing suits to just sit around. For a family of 5, this stuff has gone the distance. I'm not quite sure if we will make the whole year, but this has definitely saved us money.


2. Cleaner washing machine - We have a front load washer and it constantly smelled. We would clean it, leave the doors open and wiped it down, but it always had this mildewish smell (gross, I know). But since we started using this - it's gone. We still leave the door open but the smell has vanished and that's a plus!

3. Less detergent - This coffee scoop holds 2 TBS which is the most we use for our loads of laundry. And the clothes are still clean and smell fresh. We've even cut down on the amount of softener we use because I put softener crystals in the mix.


4. Cleaner clothes - I really do feel like our clothes are cleaner. Our whites definitely look brighter than with regular detergent without adding bleach. 

I'm seriously a huge fan - so if you've been waiting to take the plunge I say go for it! Now, we just need to update this space...I'm thinking we take out the counter and make this the "control"station for the kiddos using the cabinets as a bench and cubbies. Who wants to come help with this space? Kim, I'm totally looking at you! 


10 comments:

  1. How awesome is this? I need to do this. I feel like I am constantly buying detergent and it also seems like the cost goes up each time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really have loved it! Let me know what you think when you try it!

      Delete
  2. I love your laundry room. I'm excited to try this - we also have a front load washer and it constantly smells. We've always wondered why... it's being cleaned every day, it shouldn't smell! lol Thanks for the advice.

    Michelle - heylittlefighter.com - a special needs parenting blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it was so frustrating! We always wiped ours down and cleaned it and it just smelled. This has helped so much!

      Delete
  3. Wow, I seriously need to look into doing this. We use so much detergent, it's crazy! And every time we come to buy more, I swear the price has gone up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It got so expensive - now I can spend that money on something important, like pedicures!

      Delete
  4. I'm cracking up...I have been wondering about this detergent situation...I am so intrigued! I think I may have to join you. This space has so much potential, we can chat for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!!! I'll make it for you and you can come give me a consult! :)

      Delete
  5. That is one amazing way of saving. Good job and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete