1.18.2012

Lovin' Long Weekends (pt 2): Painting Nonsense

Okay, so MAK's room has gotten out of hand.  I have never in my life had a more difficult time selecting a paint for a room, and I have painted A LOT of rooms. We are paint people - I like color on my walls. It may make my home harder to sell later, but well, I'm living in it now, so may as well like it, right? 

Okay, back to picking a color. 

 Blue was just much harder than I thought.  The first blue was "too white" and seemed cold and unwelcoming. So I headed back up to Home Depot and purchased four samples (yes, Katy, what a great idea that was). Our favorite from the color wheel was the top left but once we got them all on the wall, it was a clear top right choice. It's lovely and just what I had in my head.


So my sweet husband spent many a late night last week {re}painting the walls until all was just perfect. I took the day off on Friday (so I had a FOUR day weekend) to get some stuff done and couldn't wait to see the finished project. I just had to clean up the room and remove all the tape to get a real view.

Y'all. Ryan REALLY, I mean REALLY did not want any paint to get anywhere but the wall. He taped the drop cloths to the floor. Double taped the baseboards, the window frames, the door frames, and the ceiling. It literally took me an HOUR to remove all this tape. AN HOUR. 

But there was no paint anywhere but the wall (and one smallish spot on the carpet). So I guess he succeeded, but something tells environmentalist would not love what I threw in the trash.



Once all the tape was down and I added some shelves, curtains and a few accessories I almost cried. There is just something about getting MAKs room ready that makes it all real. We are going to have a baby and while we have done this twice before it is no less special.

And I am going to LOVE this room - by far my favorite in the house! Can't wait to show you some pics!

Next was the closet where we yet again ran into some problems with paint color. Same story - picked a color, too light. Picked a different color - too light. Took it up to Home Depot and then the woman RUINED it by adding black (she was trying to make it "darker". Ummm. Yeah. Black isn't the only color that will do that, lady...especially when we were going for a brown).

Anyway. We ended up picking a new color (selected by Ryan and Radley) that I thought was going to be too dark, but I'm kinda digging it now.




Radley was in heaven helping Ryan paint, especially since it was brown.


I tried to set up "play areas" for the kids to keep them distracted while we worked and this little area is a favorite of one Miss Emersyn King. I may tear up the wood floors and just put down dry erase board there permanently.


She also had an obsession with tape like her Daddy. Every outlet had tape on it. I guess she wanted us to be safe. ;)



MAKs little sanctuary is coming together nicely and my nerves are settling down, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment