5.23.2017

Show and Tell: Top Ten Travels

I was worried that I wasn't going to have enough to pull a post together for this week's Show and Tell about travelling. And then I started looking at old posts and y'all - How humbling to be reminded of the opportunities I've worked for and been given and how amazing that I get to share these opportunities with my favorite people ever in the whole entire world. I've seen and done some pretty darn amazing things!!

As usual, thanks for another fun topic, Andrea!

Travel doesn't have to mean "expensive" or far away - some of my favorite trips have happened in my own backyard. An hour down the highway or a trip down the street - it really is who you're with that matters. Maybe you don't have the time to take off from work... maybe this is a season where it's hard to get away or you're not quite ready to leave kids... that's OK! Some of my favorite memories are from some of my quickest getaways!!

CONCERTS

Live music is good for the soul!!!!! This can be at a bar in town or a trip around the world to see U2 in Ireland (I mean, I couldn't do that, but it's probably awesome!)... concerts are some of my favorite travel memories. Cindy hit it out of the park when she scored us tickets to Adele - as soon as it was over, we were ready to go again!



GIRLS GETAWAYS

There is nothing like getting away with girlfriends! Whether to concerts (see above) or with nothing on the agenda at all, time spent with girlfriends is well worth it! Shelly, Holly and I snuck away the first weekend of school for a girls' getaway and instantly deemed it "tradition" worthy!


MINI VACAYS

We could probably never leave the state of Texas and also never run of out things to see! There are tons of treasures waiting to be discovered in your own backyard! We had the best time last year on a 
mini vacay to Galveston. Three hour drive that brought us lots of adventure and fun and laughs that filled our buckets! 


ROAD TRIPS

We set a goal to see all 50 states by the time Landry is 21. Crazy, maybe... Awesome? HECK YES!! Y'all - there is so much to do and see and taste and explore right here in the good ol' U S of A... so we want to do and see and taste and explore it all!!! We are clearly not going to be able to stay a week in each state because sadly we aren't independently wealthy and have to pay for things like gas and clothes and wine and food. But that doesn't mean that we can't have the best time checking off items! We took a quick little road trip to Arkansas last spring break and then decided to go even further and drive to Memphis one afternoon. Car rides aren't always the easiest with wee ones, but y'all... they are always worth it!


"ME" TIME

When one of your lifelong friends sends you a text saying, "Hey.. want to go the Hamptons? I have the house covered just get up here." ... YOU GET UP THERE!!!! The older I get, the more stressed I get, the more consumed I become with other people's needs over my own... the more aware I am at how important it is to take time for myself. You can't fill others' tanks when you're running on empty! Your friend may not send you a random text asking to go to the Hamptons (because who does that?!) but even if it's a trip up the road - GOOOOOOOOO!!!


COUPLES

When Ryan asked me if I wanted to go to Vegas, I honestly wasn't sure. And then we went and I loved it. Of course, we could have stayed at a LaQuinta in Hempstead and I would have been happy. I love spending time with him reconnecting and getting to know who he is in this moment of life. Never underestimate the power of togetherness especially when you are each being pulled in 1283 directions! You will never lose a bet you place all your chips focused on your relationship!

(See what I did there?)


FAMILY FUN

Gulf Shores is still one of my favorite spots we've gone as We5Kings.
Sun - check
Sand - check
Seafood - check
Fun - check, check, CHECK!!!

Y'all. This is one of the most gorgeous beaches, friendliest places, and full of so much fabulous food and fun! GO GO GO GO GO GO!!!!!



And then when you get back from the beach book a trip to New York City. Hands down one of my most favorite places to go EVER in the history of EVER! It may seem overwhelming and crazy cakes to go with the kiddos but y'all there is so much to see and do and tons of cheap or free entertainment! If you are worried or scared or just think I'm crazy, send me a message and I'll give you all my favorite tips and tricks!


OUT OF COMFORT ZONE TRIP

Sometimes you just need to get out of your comfort zone and sometimes you lucky out and its part of your job. A few years ago I had the opportunity to chaperone a leadership exchange program to Doha which is Far Far FAR Away. The sites and sounds were breathtakingly beautiful and I will never ever take for granted that experience and opportunity. If you are asked to do something that scares you - DO IT! You will become stronger and so much more prepared to tackle the next unexpected something that pops up because of it!


But listen, as awesome as all these getaways are, there is nothing like going "home" to refresh and reset... especially when home belongs to Gigi and Pops. I am so thrilled my kids get to do LIFE with my parents - the big and small through it all. We love seeing where they grew up and hearing the stories that shaped them. 


Nothing can take the place of traveling... and I can't wait until our next adventure!!! 





































No comments:

Post a Comment